Sunday 13 March 2016

Sunset Soliloquies


A poem wanted to know
What the sunset makes me feel
What the orange ink speaks to me of.
If it stains me with nostalgia’s lavender
Or melancholy’s blue.
It was clichéd
But I wondered anyway.
And I didn’t know
I honestly did not.
I looked and looked and tried to see
But there was just so much
And my eyes so small
Can never take all of it in.
Maybe it is too much anyway.
It is like apaixonar, perhaps
A single moment, but never one you can point at.
Or Banjara, a different kind of nomad
Roots everywhere, home nowhere
Like gypsies riding a Catherine Wheel.
I’ve never been to the sea
Sometimes the sunset tells the nemophilist in me about it.
But feel? I don’t know.
It is trouvaille, I suppose, a lovely windfall.
And retrouvaille, the wait always worth it.
A dull, constant entity
Like the ache in my being.
It always does invoke toska, though
Brings it out, hammers it home
My perpetual longing for nothing
Adding to the atlas’s weight on my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment